Wednesday, June 27, 2012

That's a keeper!

I am sure we have all said or thought these words.  Maybe when you found the dog you always dreamed of.  Or perhaps when you where looking through photos and found just the right one.  Or maybe the day you met your spouse.  Although I hope you didn't call them a that!  A while ago I had this very thought.  It didn't have to do with any of the above mentioned items.  It had to do with soup.  Even Mr Thames might like this one!  It all happened after Isaiah was born(I think it was him anyways).  A women from the church brought us dinner.  Normally we have left overs from the meals brought after a baby is born(which is very nice indeed).  Not this time though.  We were literally scrapping the pot trying to get more.  Finally I got around to asking the women's daughter if she could get me the recipe.  Then after who knows how long I got around to making the recipe.  And I couldn't believe I had let so much time past between first bite and making it myself!  I paired it with a home made whole wheat roll and was floating in happiness.  And since then I have thought about sharing it here and well, as you can see sometimes things take me awhile to do.  So with no more waiting around, here it is!
Tortellini Soup
Ingredients:
1 lb Italian sausage
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves(more if you like, I like)
5 cups beef broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry red wine(I don't ever have wine so I skipped this)
14.5 oz can diced Italian style tomatoes
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
8 oz tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup sliced zucchini
8 oz tortellini (I used the fresh kind)
3 tbls chopped fresh parsley
1 med green pepper

Directions:
Brown sausage remove from pan. Saute onion and garlic in drippings, add broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, and tomato sauce.  Simmer 30 minutes.  Stir in zucchini, tortellini, parsley, and peppers.  Simmer 40 more minutes.  Dish up and top with Parmesan cheese.  Dive in, sit back, and thank me later.  Don't worry, I promise to pass the praise along to the correct people.  This soup is well worth the time, effort, and shopping list so TRY IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment