Saturday, April 24, 2010

Letting go

Why oh why is it so hard to let go? Okay, I know some of you are fine with letting go. My husband is one of those people. I will admit that I am some one who finds it most difficult to let go and it turns out I have passed this on to some of my children. This last week Samantha who use to be as bad as me about letting go informed me she needed to deep clean and get rid of "stuff". Oh the joy that Jeff felt. So that is what we did. Everyday this week for at least two hours we were up stairs purging. We got rid of eight bags of good will and four big bags of garbage. We also moved winter stuff down stairs to totes. I feel I should explain the girls room for you who haven't seen it. The three girls share a room that use to be an attic. When you first go in two closets line a small hallway. It was out of one of these closets we got our first three bags of good will. Then there is the space where the toddlers beds are. This is the most open part of the room. It also houses Samantha's table and most of the toys. Then there is a small step up that is the dividing line in the room. Samantha's bed and special stuff is there. No little girl is allowed past unless she has permission. Okay now the pictures may mean more to you. As I looked at these pictures I loved the progress made, but still see room for improvement. I think we have a problem with stuffed animals! The last big mess in the room is mine. It is the stuff that needs to be moved from upstairs to down stairs. Guess what that means! I need to go through down stairs stuff. I guess there always next week.

3 comments:

  1. We did the boys and girls rooms this weekend in prep for minor remodel's when we get home from our trip....bags and bags of stuff/trash!! I could not believe it...especially because we do this probably twice a year already and the girls usually keep a pretty reasonable room! Spoiled rotten every one of them :-)....I mean really how much stuff does one (or 5 in our case) kiddo need!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of stuffed animals! I regularly go through the kids' rooms and purge stuff, so we don't have that much in their rooms. Moving 11 times has helped us widdle stuff down, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO FUNNY because I have been doing the same thing all week. I started in the kitchen, worked my way around the down stairs the 1st day, yesterday was the kids and playroom, today is the computer room!! I think it feels SO GOOD to clear stuff out. SOME things do pull on the heart strings but then I just think--is this adding to their life, or cluttering it? I find with toys and stuffed animals there are SO MANY that they ignore. We took 8 bags of clothes/toys/etc to Good will and Liv started crying when she saw one of her dolls (that she never played with) in one..I ALMOST gave in but instead used it as an opportunity to explain that there are little girls with NO DOLLS and her doll could be with one of them. She thought her doll would miss her, but I explained that she was happy to go to a little girl that would play with her everyday. She hasn't mentioned her since. Funny...they get over it and I think it is a good lesson. I love the girls' attic room. So cute!

    ReplyDelete