Thursday, January 16, 2014

Minimoon!

I know, I know.  I have already put these on Instagram and Facebook, but for those of you who don't see me there I thought I would share these here also.  I love them so much!!  Last night I was at my back door when I looked up and saw the moon.  It was AMAZING!  The way it was lighting the sky around it.  The way it was behind the tree.  I fell in love.
I decided I would try and take a picture.  Now most the time night pictures never turn out how I want, but I just had to try.  I wasn't about to get out the tripod, so I was relying on a steady hand so the blur factor wasn't super crazy. 
In the end I was very happy with what I got!
And after I happened to be checking out the news online and found out I had captured a minimoon!  I didn't even know there was such a thing!  It turns out that last night the moon was at apogee(the farthest it can be from earth) and it was full.  When both things happen together you get a minimoon.  This last happened in 1994 and won't happen again until 2052(per my Google search)!  But if you missed it don't worry try to catch the supermoon August 10th.  The difference between the minimoon and supermoon is 14% and catching the moon at the right point in the night sky will make a difference on how big it looks!  The difference between the two is so slight you can't really tell with the naked eye, but if you compare side to side it is very neat.
 So I wasn't going to include this last picture, but as I was researching I found out I also happened to capture Jupiter in a photo(It's the tiny dot in the top of the photo)!  Jupiter happens to be in perigee right now(the opposite of apogee), so it's easy to spot.  It is also part of the constellation Gemini(which I happen to be).  Okay, I think that is enough facts on the sky for one day.  I hope you learned as much as I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment