Thursday, November 18, 2010

School at home and on the go

At home school can turn into a family event. On this day Samantha was working on her geography lesson. She had completed her work and still had the maps out. Melia wanting to be a part of what big sis was doing headed over. Samantha taught her how to find capitals of the states. Then Melia taught Kellina. I don't think Kellina totally understood what she was doing, but she love finding a star. And she only got a little upset when her brothers wanted to help. After Kellina was busy with her star spotting I heard Samantha showing Melia where New York was. Then the two of them went to work to find Madagascar. Can you guess why? Well so they knew where the animals from the movie Madagascar were of course. It was a very productive lesson as I had no idea where Madagascar was till then. As for school on the go. This year we joined a co-op. We have no where to meet until the new year so we have filled the fall with field trips. I have only brought my camera to one. Mallards Ice Cream shop!! The kids learned all about how ice cream is made and enjoyed a cone after. I quizzed the kids after and was amazed at how much they retained. Like how the chocolate bar weighed 11 pounds! Or how the freezer was suppose to be at 40 below zero, but because of us going in and out it was only 20 below. My girls went in and out to fast to get a picture, but their friend Zoe took her time to play with the ice on the door. I enjoyed learning how they get their cream product from a dairy farm in Oregon that does all its own pasteurizing on site. No growth hormone or antibiotics there! The last picture is the little girls waiting for their treat. I hope you have enjoyed a glance at what we do in any given day for school.

1 comment: