Friday, July 12, 2013

Balancing Act

My family is currently living a constant balancing act.  Nothing of life and death, but one of food.  Samantha has had some random health issues since 5th grade.  I won't bore you with all the details, but nothing was an obvious this is what is wrong kind of thing.  Then I read a friends blog.  Everything she wrote was my Samantha.  So in we went to get a gluten intolerance test.  The doctor warned us that a lot of the time they come back just fine, but people will still cut out gluten and see a big difference.  The test came back fine.  And our life kept rolling.  Then one day Sam decided she wanted to cut out gluten. 
So, we did.  She is doing much better I am happy to report!  But it does mean that I have to always think about what we are eating.  How I can make a gluten free version for her.  Making sure we have snacks on hand.  For the most part it goes well.  She for sure misses certain foods.  You know, pizza.  But, I think the health she now has out ways the missing food.  And sometimes she will sneak something with gluten, but later she pays the price.
So far no one has followed in Sam's foot steps.  At least not when it comes to gluten issues!

No comments:

Post a Comment