Friday, January 28, 2011

Your request

After posting about my home made beans I had two requests to share the recipe. I will start by saying this came from my friend and turns out the first time I made it I forgot salt and doubled the pepper. They were still yummy and only required stirring in the salt before eating. So by request here is the recipe.
1 diced onion

1 Jalapeno seeded and diced

4 Tbls minced garlic

8 tsp salt

1 Tbls pepper

1/4 tsp cumin

6 cups dry pinto beans

water(the original recipe calls for 9 cups I was told fill crock pot till I thought it was good and check throughout cooking never did measure how much water I used)

Place all ingredients into crock pot and cook on low for about 8 hours or high about 4 hours. Once cooked mash to your desire. I mashed by hand and talked to a friend today who used her food processor. You get the most flavor on low. You can start these at night and in the morning they will be ready. I got four quart size bags into my freezer. Each bag I used about 3 cups of beans. If you put them in at night I would add extra water so the don't dry out while your sleeping. This happened to a friend who simply added water during the mashing phase.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this. I tried it this weekend and it turned out great.

    ReplyDelete