Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reactive Airway Disease

What is it you ask. Well, my opinion is its what you call it when a little boy comes in wheezing and coughing and you don't have anything better to call it. You rule out pneumonia with an x-ray, rule bronchlitis by listening, decide its not asthma so of course it reactive airway disease. I was at the doctor this morning with Caleb for two hours to find this out. How do you treat it? With oral steroids and albuteral of course. I know I shouldn't sound so jaded about the medical field since I am a nurse, but sometimes I wish a doctor would just say I don't know whats wrong. That would be the day. I hope the steroids don't effect him the same way they did last time. He was such a fussy butt. Here he is for a cute profile shot. Well as best a I could do with a curious baby. By the way with no medicine he has been a joy just wheezing and occasional cough.

2 comments:

  1. I think sometimes it makes you MORE jaded to be in the medical field. You realize that it is all their best EDUCATED guess. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope he is feeling better soon! Keep me posted--no pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete