Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Killing Chickens

DO NOT read on if you don't like blood or think killing chickens is wrong. When I arrived at the Thames home the chickens looked like this. They actually get so fat the can no longer walk at the end of their short life. When I left the Thames house they looked like this. A man, who I will not name, misspelled this pack. Hehehehe! Much more my style. The entire process I will say was well..... It was for sure a learning experience and while Samantha decided it was yucky the little kids were very into it. They even had a brief lesson in anatomy. The big boys of the crowd were taught the killing, cleaning, and butchering process. It was great to see the men teaching the boys. Melia had come prepared for the day. She had worn a shirt that she decided was perfect for blood splatter. I think she actually was disappointed with the lack of blood. If anyone out there wants photos of their chicken slaughter just give me a call. I would love to see it done with the scalder:) In the end I believe that the kids were the stars of the day. I mean they kept the dog from eating chickens. They filled buckets with water. They even pulled heads off chickens. And if that wasn't enough they looked darn cute!


I have to say that chicken killing day was a good day!!

4 comments:

  1. I wore brand new white keds to my grandparents chicken butchering party one year, got blood all over them and was so upset. Good job Melia for going prepared! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those poor, poor birds, left at the hands of ruthless killers. As if that wasn't bad enough, your children will be tramatized for life. Just look at the horrified faces, I hope you have some sort of grief counseling scheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did they dress out to be on ave?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Can I just put a link over here from my blog? :O) Thanks for taking all those pictures. They tured out great.

    ReplyDelete