Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Three P's

Penny PeeWee Pepper For mothers day my sweet hubby finished the chicken habitat, as I like to call it, and filled it with chickens. Our friends have to move and their chickens can't go with. Apartments usually frown on such pets. So, we are getting the benefits of laying hens. A Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, and a Jardinski chicken. We don't know the kind of chicken the third is, just that she came from the Jardinski's. I have decided though that she must be the one to lay the white eggs. Yesterday they gave us our first eggs. It was so fun to watch the kids "finding" eggs. It was like an Easter egg hunt. Except the chickens are smart enough to use the nesting boxes provided so there isn't much of a hunt. The first time we checked they hadn't laid yet. I had some disappointed kiddos. I said we would check later but not to be upset if they didn't lay at all. After lunch out we went again and Samantha spotted the first egg. I found the second egg because it had been laid just outside the nesting box. Every little hand had to touch each egg. Then promptly get washed. Melia shouted,"I prayed we would get at least one egg and we got two!" She now is telling me that we will get nine next which a dozen. Hmmmmmm. I have already started planning what kinds of chickens we will get for our next flock when these stop laying or get eaten(by predators not people). We do have three cats that we are hoping will get use to the prey we brought home. I found one cat in the run yesterday scared to death. She thought she was gonna get an easy meal and instead got beaten by chickens. I had to undue part of the fence to get her out. Hoping it was a lesson learned on her part. Here is to a new day and a new egg!!

2 comments:

  1. You picked much better names than my boys. They couldn't think of girl names so the red was Red Beak, black was Lunch Box and the Jardinski chicken (a leghorn mix) came with the name Sweety. LOL
    Your eggs are from PeeWee and Pepper. PeeWee will lay year round big white eggs, Peppers are the smooth brown ones and Penny's will be brown with spots. Oh, and Penny will skwak like crazy when she lays and then make more noise until you remove the egg. She reminds me of a cartoon chicken.
    We miss them already & almost had one crying because his chicken was gone, but we know they're at a good home and we'll have more another day as soon as we have a house again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh & I have an egg holder I'll bring to you. Forgot to send it with Jeff ;-D

    ReplyDelete