Thursday, October 8, 2009

Basic skills

Some may think that math and reading are the most important basic skills, but I believe that some very important basic skills are baking and cooking. As part of home school we have added baking days and cooking nights. Our first baking adventure was pumpkin bread. It was a great simple starter that we got from a friends blog. I let Samantha do it all and only helped if asked(this meant I did the clean up). Samantha first got the recipe(basic computer skills).
She gathered all her ingredients(basic planning skills). Which was funny because the recipe made 4 loaves of bread. I didn't think about cutting the recipe in half until we were almost done!
She then measured and mixed like crazy(basic math skills using real life fractions)!
When it was all said and done we had 3 loaves of yummy bread and 1 tray of muffins. This morning the family is enjoying them for breakfast. Melia even thanked Samantha for being such a good cook. Tonight we will enjoy her dinner. Potato bar, salad, and fresh baked turtle bread(which Samantha will make today). I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. I love it. What a good way to learn. Must add, your constantly changes pictures of the kids are so entertaining to me. Kellina is killng me.

    ReplyDelete